Law & Legal & Attorney Law enforcement & police

How do I Obtain Personal Records From Wyoming Using FOIA?

    • 1). Identify which records you seek. Organize a list by the following categories: Property, legal and other. You will only be entitled to records maintained by public entities, so someone else's mortgage information, for example, would be exempt unless the loan was directly financed by the government. According to the Wyoming Legislative Services Office, you are entitled to see a public employee's health insurance information, even if that benefit is funded by taxpayers. You are, however, allowed to see the titles, pay rates and dates or hire and resignation of all municipal employees.

    • 2). Visit the town, village or city hall. Ask the clerks for available property records on your own property or that of whomever you are researching. They can provide personal property records such as local tax bills, water/sewer bills and assessed values of property. The local code enforcement officer might also have records on a property if the owner ever applied for a building permit or was cited for violations. Police and court officials (misdemeanor or traffic court) maintain legal documents such as arrest reports and case files, and should be prepared to search for records by name. You may be required to submit your FOIA request in writing, so allow the municipal officials a few days to determine if the record can be released.

    • 3). Stop at the county office building. The county election board can provide you with a roster of registered voters, which should note a person's date of birth, address, political affiliation and possibly a phone number. Property records on file include recordings of property transfers and deeds. Business licenses or certificates are also filed with the county, as are liens against a property owner if a debt remains unpaid. The county clerk or recorder can do a search by name but may require you to submit a written FOIA request. The county or district criminal court will have files on pending misdemeanor and felony cases. Probate courts are required to show you all of the last wills and testaments that are on file there. You can obtain a copy of your own driving record at the Department of Motor Vehicles office but not anyone else's.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply