Is it Safe to Plug a Flat Tire?
- The reliability of the plug in your tire depends greatly on the method your mechanic used to plug it. To plug a tire correctly, the mechanic must remove the tire and plug it from the inside using a strong adhesive. The plug has a mushroom-type head that allows it to adhere to the tire from the inside.
Poorly Installed Plugs
- However, mechanic shops will sometimes plug a tire from the outside by filling the hole with glue and inserting a plug without a head. Although they are often helpful for getting you home after a flat tire, they do not meet standards for tire plugs.
Guidelines for Tire Plugging
- Tires can have up to three properly installed plugs before they need to be replaced, provided that none of the plugs is on the side of the tire.
- Improperly plugged tires should not be used as a permanent solution, because they can cause more serious problems later.
- Many people do, in fact, drive for years on improperly plugged tires with no problem.
Related Posts "Cars & Vehicles"
7/11/2019 3:03:00 PM