How to Keep the Wedding Cards Safe at the Reception
- 1). Cut the bottoms off the middle and smallest boxes, reserving a 1/4-inch border at the bottom of each box for gluing.
- 2). Place the smallest box on the lid of the medium-sized box and trace the hole you cut onto the lid. Do the same thing for the medium sized box, placing it on the lid of the largest box and tracing the hole you cut. Cut out each hole from the two lids.
- 3). Measure and cut a 6 1/2-by-1/2-inch rectangle out of the lid of the smallest box. This is the slot the cards will be dropped into.
- 4). Paint each box and lid white. Use at least two coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next. You can also paint patterns on the boxes at this point, such as diamonds, a basket weave pattern, stripes or dots. Use a metallic silver or gold paint for this, or you can use a paint in one of your wedding colors.
- 5). Glue the lids to their boxes and glue the boxes together. Apply a liberal amount of hot glue to the lids, just at the edges of the holes you cut out. Stack the next sized box on top of the lid until you have a three layer box "cake" with a central hole all the way through.
- 6). Decorate your cake box with ribbons, beads, crystals or any decorations you desire. A wrapping of white or wedding-colored ribbon around the base of each box hides where you glued and is an elegant decoration. Place the cake box on the gift table for guests to drop their cards into.