How to Run a Swimming Pool Filter
- 1). Place a hose into the pool. Turn on the spigot to a gentle stream. Fill the pool until the water level is above the pool filter's hoses connected to the pool. The water will automatically start to flow into the pump once it reaches the hose level.
- 2). Open the air release valve -- it's often located on the top of the pump -- to start priming the pump. Some pumps do not have an air release valve and prime on their own once the pump starts.
- 3). Plug the filter's power cord into an appropriate electrical outlet -- the manufacturer usually specifies what voltage to use.
- 4). Close the air release valve once you see water flowing out of it.
- 5). Unplug the filter after you are done filtering the water.