"Java" generally refers to a combination of three things:
- Java programming language: It is a high-level, object-oriented programming language. Java is centered on creating & manipulating objects, and making the objects to work together.
- Java Virtual Machine: Short for JVM, it is a high-performance virtual machine that executes byte codes on a specific computing platform.
- Java platform: A JVM running compiled Java byte codes, usually calling on a set of standard libraries such as those provided by Java Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition . Though coupled by design, the language does not imply the JVM, and vice versa.
Java is a revolutionary language and so, for this reason, it is the most accepted computing language in use today for a wide-ranging purpose. Some of the substantial benefits of Java Programming language are:
- Java is Architectural Neutral: Since Javas applications are typically piled-up to a byte-code and as its integration is done into all the major operating system, so, for this reason, Java Program can be accessed on any platform with a Java Virtual Machine. Hence, one of the most compelling reason that persuade anyone to Java is its Portability, i.e. -- Platform Independence and so developers will be just requiring for the writing of one version and that one version will be running on all the platforms without having to be recompiled. Java runs on most major hardware and software platforms, counting Windows 95 and NT, the Macintosh, and several varieties of UNIX as well.
- Security: Language and platform were devised by maintaining the issue of security in mind. All browsers, whether it is a compiler, interpreter or Java-compatible, all hold a number of security measures. They are intended to diminish the risk of security compromise, loss of data and program integrity, and damage to system users. The Java platform allows a user to download an untrusted code over a network and run it in a secure environment as it will protect the host system to not to get infected with a virus.
- Programmer Efficiency and Time-to-Market: The final and perhaps the most significant cause for taking the Java into a use is that it is well-liked by the programmers because with Java, they entertain a quick results and it makes their efficiency increase to the great extent. As Java is a simple and elegant language with a well-designed, intuitive set of APIs, programmers are able to write better code that too without shelling-out embarrassing amount of money. This thing reduces the development time.
Hence for these considerable benefits, Java is chosen as the programming language for the network computers (NC) and has been perceived as a universal front end for the enterprise database.