Law & Legal & Attorney Human rights

How to Apply for US Citizenship & the Fees

    • 1). Download Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website or call 1-800-870-3676 to have the form mailed to you.

    • 2). Fill out N-400 form completely and attach two identical passport-type color photos. Write your name and Alien Registration Number in pencil on the back of each photo.

    • 3). Make a copy of both sides of your Green Card, also known as your Permanent Resident Card.

    • 4). Mail the N-400 form along with the photos, front and back copy of your Green card, and the $675.00 filing fee to the USCIS Lockbox facility for your particular state. Applicants age 75 or older pay a reduced fee of $595.00. Applicants in the military do not pay a filing fee. Payment should be in the form of a money order, personal check, or cashier's check payable to the Department of Homeland Security or the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

    • 5). You will receive an appointment letter in the mail for fingerprinting. Take your appointment letter, i.d.card, and Green Card to your fingerprinting appointment.

    • 6). Interview with an Immigration Officer. Bring your Green card, passport, i.d. card, and two additional photos to your interview. The interview will consist of an English test and a Civics test. You are required to answer six Civics questions correctly in order to pass. For English, you must read and write at least one sentence correctly to pass.

    • 7). The Immigration Officer will give you Form N-562 stating whether you were granted citizenship, denied citizenship, or had your case continued. If your case is continued, you must return at a later date, either to re-take the tests or provide additional documents.

    • 8). Attend a Naturalization Ceremony. This ceremony officially recognizes you as a citizen of the United States.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply