How to Test a Fuel Pump Relay on a 94 Ford Ranger
- 1). Locate the fuse and relay box in the engine compartment. It is located near the firewall on the driver's side of the engine compartment.
- 2). Pull the cover from the relay and fuse box.
- 3). Pull out the fuel pump relay with needle-nose pliers. The relay is located in the middle row with 13 fuses in the row. The fuel pump relay is the third relay from the right.
- 4). Pull the relay that is fifth from the right. Insert it into the empty fuel pump relay, third from the right. Insert the relay removed originally from the third slot and insert it into the fifth position from the right.
- 5). Start the vehicle. If the engine stalls, stutters or does not start, the fuel pump relay is bad. Remove the original fuel pump relay from the fifth slow from the right. Remove the replacement relay from the third slot from the right and insert it into original position in the fifth slot. Bring the original fuel pump relay to an auto part store and buy a replacement. If the engine does not stutter, stall and starts as it should, place the relays in their original positions and diagnose other areas of the fuel system.
- 6). Insert the new relay into the third slot from the right.
- 7). Place the cover onto the fuse box.