How to Change a Pull Rope on a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP
- 1). Disconnect the spark plug wire from the spark plug, by pulling on the black rubber boot over the spark plug.
- 2). Loosen the three 7/16-inch bolts that hold the starter housing onto the engine. Lift the housing off of the engine, and place it upside-down on a work table.
- 3). Hold the shroud with one hand, and rotate the pulley in the center of the shroud counterclockwise until it will not turn any further. Clamp the pulley in place using the wide-jaw locking pliers.
- 4). Pull the knot in the knot hole near the center of the pulley with a pair of needlenose pliers and remove the section of broken rope.
- 5). Insert the open end of the new starter rope (with the handle on the opposite end) into the hole in the starter shroud. Guide the rope toward the knot hole near the center of the pulley.
- 6). Grab the rope through the knot hole with the needlenose pliers and pull out about ten inches. Tie a knot in the end of the rope. Singe the end of the rope with a lighter or matches to prevent the rope from unraveling.
- 7). Pull on the rope from outside of the starter shroud until the knot is seated in the knot hole. Release the wide-grip pliers, and allow the rope to recoil around the pulley.
- 8). Re-install the starter shroud onto the engine, and tighten the three bolts to secure the shroud. Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.