Drying an Oil Painting
- 1). Treat the canvas first before painting with glue chalk gesso. Apply the gesso with a brush in thin even strips across the whole canvas and allow at least an hour for it to settle.
- 2). Paint with linseed-based oil paints, as opposed to saffron or walnut oil based paints.
- 3). Mix the paints with an alkyd medium, as alkyd mediums help the oil paint dry faster.
- 4). Paint the layers of oil paint in very thin layers and try to avoid gobbing oil paint onto the canvas, as this takes longer to dry.
- 5). Store the painting initially in a dry, little-used room with a dehumidifier for the first 72 hours.
- 6). Apply a thin layer of clear coat to the painting with a brush to help the painting settle and dry.