Types of Tasers Used by Police Departments
- The TASER was invented by NASA researcher John "Jack" Higson Cover, Jr. in 1974. The word TASER is an acronym that was named after a fictional character, Thomas A. Swift, created by Edward Stratemayer in 1910 for a series of juvenile science fiction novels. A TASER is less-than-lethal electronic control device (ECD) that disrupts the control of the neuromuscular system using electrical currents in a mechanism known as "Electro-Muscular Disruption (EMD) technology". Scottsdale, Arizona-based TASER International, Inc., is the main company that supplies police departments in the United States with these devices. While that are currently a total of seven available models, the most popular are the M26 and X26.
ADVANCED TASER M18
- The ADVANCED TASER M18 was the first nonlethal weapon that combines stun gun technology with EMD technology. It resembles a handgun, and has a grip similar to that of a Glock 20 or 21. It uses an air cartridge to propel two wired probes at a range of 7 to 15 feet. These probes have the ability to penetrate up to an inch of clothing. Once the probes make contact with the skin surface, an electronic wave passes through the striated muscle tissue between the probes, causing the victim to experience a series of 15 uncontrollable severe muscle cramps ("charley horses") per second.
ADVANCED TASER M26
- The ADVANCED TASER M26 was the first ECD that delivered true Neuro Muscular Incapacitation (NMI). It used compressed nitrogen to propel two wired probes at a range of 25 to 35 feet, penetrating up to two inches of clothing.
- The TASER X26 was an update to the ADVANCED TASER M26. It is 60 percent smaller, lighter and more powerful. It includes an integrated laser sight, and has a port for a TASER CAM. The TASER X26 has data-download capability. Its range is 25 to 35 feet.
- The TASER XREP (eXtended Range Electronic Projectile) is a wireless ECD that is encased in a transparent shotgun shell that is deployed from a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, and has a long range capability of up to 75 feet.
TASER X12 LLS
- The TASER X12 LLS (Less-Lethal Shotgun) is an optimized version of the TASER XREP that is a re-engineered Mossberg 500 pump-action shotgun. The shotgun has a long range capability of up to 88 feet.
- The TASER X3 is a ECD that allows for the engagement of up to three simultaneous targets and delivers calibrated NMI pulses.
- The TASER SHOCKWAVE is a remote-controlled ECD that has the ability to incapacitate a crowd of power at a range of up to 25 feet.