How to Make Homemade Flavored Cheese
- 1). Line a large colander with a piece of new, clean cheesecloth. Set aside. Dissolve 1/2 vegetable-based rennet tablet in 1/4 cup cold water. Set aside.
- 2). Fill the bottom pot of your double boiler three-fourths full with water. Place on your stove top over low heat.
- 3). Combine 1 3/4 cups whole milk, 1 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup buttermilk in the top pot of your double boiler. Place the top pot on the bottom pot.
- 4). Use your candy thermometer to monitor the temperature of the milk mixture. Stir frequently.
- 5). Add the dissolved rennet mixture to the milk when it reaches 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir well to combine.
- 6). Cover your pot and allow the mixture to sit over low heat for approximately one hour or until a layer of whey (cloudy liquid) forms on top of the curd (yogurt-like compound). Check your candy thermometer periodically to ensure that you maintain a temperature of 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 7). Slice the curd into vertical, one-inch squares with a long knife, allowing the whey to seep into the crevices. Let stand for five minutes, then remove from stove top.
- 8). Place your cheesecloth-lined colander into the sink. Gently spoon your cheese mixture into the colander to drain. Allow the mixture to drain in your sink for eight to 12 hours or until it is no longer dripping.
- 9). Place a clean dish over the cheese and press down very gently to squeeze out any excess liquid.
Spoon the cheese into a mixing bowl. Stir in 1/2 tsp. salt. Flavor as desired.
Sweet Cheese Flavors
- 1). Add 1/4 cup honey, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. nutmeg. Stir well until creamy and serve with honey wheat, cinnamon or graham crackers.
- 2). Stir in 1/2 cup of your choice of flavored fruit preserves. Serve with water crackers, pretzels or mini-bagels.
- 3). Add 1/4 cup chopped almonds, 2 tsp. almond extract and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Stir well to evenly distribute the ingredients. Serve with apple slices, strawberries and chocolate-covered graham crackers.
Savory Cheese Flavors
- 1). Spoon your cheese into the center of a large platter. Pour salsa (homemade or store bought) over the cheese. Surround with yellow and blue corn chips.
- 2). Add 1/4 cup each chopped green olives and chopped walnut pieces to your cheese. Stir well until creamy and thoroughly combined. Serve with celery sticks, crackers or white melba toast.
- 3). Sprinkle 2 tsp. each dried basil, thyme and cilantro over your cheese. Stir well to evenly distribute the herbs. Serve with wheat, garlic or sesame crackers.