- 1). Soak 1/4 cup of flax seeds in 2 cups of hot water for two hours. Stir the mixture occasionally to keep it from sticking together.
- 2). Transfer the flaxseed mixture into a pot and boil it for 30 minutes to thicken it. Stir it to keep it from burning.
- 3). Place a pound of steam-rolled oats into a bucket, which is sufficient for one horse. Add a tablespoon of sea salt.
- 4). Pour the flaxseed mixture over the rolled-oats mixture.
- 5). Stir the mixture with a spoon to moisten it.
- 6). Place a towel over the bucket and let it cool for half an hour.
- 7). Sprinkle a handful of dry bran over the top of the mash mixture.
- 8). Add your horse's favorite treat into the bran. It may be slices of apple, molasses or carrots. Mix it up with the bran.
- 9). Pour the bran mixture into the horse's feed pan in the evening, before he goes to sleep.
Give your horse this bran mixture once a week to treat and prevent colic.
Remove uneaten bran mixture within a few hours to prevent your horse from eating spoiled food.