How to Remove Clear Silicone Sealant From Glass
- 1). Heat the surface of the silicone caulk with a hair dryer for two to three minutes.
- 2). Wet a washcloth with hot water and place it in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Lay the hot cloth over the sealant. The warm and wet conditions work to soften the caulk. Leave the cloth on the glass for 10 minutes.
- 3). Remove the washcloth. Sprinkle 2 or 3 drops of mineral oil over the silicone. Place a razorblade at the edge of the caulk and work it slowly under the caulk without digging into the glass. Remove the silicon pieces as they dislodge from the glass. Use the razor to cut as much caulk from the glass as possible, until only fragments remain.
- 4). Wet a rag with the mineral oil and wipe it over the small pieces of silicone remaining on the glass. Scrub the glass with an old toothbrush to remove the remaining silicone fragments.
- 5). Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar into 1 qt. of water. Wet a sponge with the mixture and wipe it over the glass, removing the mineral oil and the rest of the silicone. The vinegar cuts through the mineral oil for easier removal.
- 6). Wipe the glass dry with a lint-free cloth.