Law & Legal & Attorney Immigration Law

How Can You Get a Green Card Through a US Citizen?

    • 1). Show proof that you and your American family member are related. For married couples, you will need your marriage certificate and you will each need to submit "Form G-325A, Biographic Information." Find the form at the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website. You'll need to provide one other document confirming your marriage, such as a joint bank account statement.

    • 2). Present a birth certificate with both the parent and child's name on it if your relationship is parent-child. For siblings, you will need to show birth certificates that have a common parent on both.

    • 3). File "I-130 Petition for Alien Relative." The US citizen must file this form on behalf of his or her relative. Be sure to include proof of citizenship and proof of familial relationship to the relative you are submitting the petition for. Enclose a check or money order payable to the Department of Homeland Security for $355, as of May 2010. The USCIS website lists the mailing addresses for your petition depending upon where you reside.

    • 4). Receive "I-797 Notice of Action" form, confirming that the I-130 petition was filed on your behalf. If you are not classified as an immediate relative, you must wait to receive notice that the I-130 has been approved and that there is a visa number available for you before filing your I-485 application. Your wait time for a visa number depends on the number of visas that are available for your particular familial category, the demand for visa numbers, and the limits prescribed by Congress for your country.

    • 5). Get a medical exam. You must have a medical exam performed by a doctor designated as a civil surgeon by the United States. This exam will confirm that your admittance to the US will not be denied due to a public health issue. Call 800-375-5283 for a list of civil surgeons in your area.

    • 6). Use "Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record" for your medical exam. The form is located below under Resources. After completing your exam, the doctor will give you the I-693 form in a sealed envelope. Be sure not to open the envelope. The US Immigration Service will not accept the form if the envelope has been opened or altered in any way.

    • 7). File "I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status". File your I-485 along with your I-693 medical form, 2 photos, birth certificate, the "I-134 Affidavit of Financial Support", I-797 notice, and a check or money order for $1,010 payable to the Department of Homeland Security, as of May 2010.
      Mail to:
      PO Box 805887
      Chicago, IL 60680-4120

    • 8). Check your case status. You can check the status of your application on the USCIS website. You may also create an account on the website and sign up to receive email updates regarding your case.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply