Law & Legal & Attorney Children Law

How do I Pay Child Support When Receiving Social Security Disability?

    • 1). Contact Social Security as soon as possible. Call 800-772-1213 weekdays, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Make an appointment at the nearest office to add your child to your case.

    • 2). Take all your paperwork to the appointment and consult with the Social Security representative. After adding the child to your case, and providing the direct deposit information, the custodial parent or guardian will begin receiving a monthly check on behalf of the child. If the custodial parent prefers, she can go to the Social Security office and fill out the direct deposit paperwork herself.

    • 3). Contact your local child support services and inform them that the child is receiving SSDI benefits. A court date will be set to review the child support case. Generally, the child support order is changed to reflect the amount the custodial parent or guardian receives from SSDI on behalf of the child. If child support services is not collecting the child support, then contact the family law facilitator's office. It is usually located at your local courthouse. The staff will give you the forms to change the child support order, and assist you in filing the paperwork.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply