How to Make Chocolate-Covered Insects
Prepare the Insects
- 1). Place mealworms, crickets or grasshoppers in the colander and cover with a screen or a large strainer to prevent insects from escaping. Rinse thoroughly and drain.
- 2). Put the rinsed insects inside the freezer bag. Place bag in freezer for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- 3). Cover the baking sheet with a single layer of paper towels. Distribute the insects evenly on the baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and bake for 1-1/2 hours.
- 4). Remove the wings and legs of the roasted crickets and grasshoppers when cooled.
- 5). Pour three-quarters of the semi-sweet chocolate pieces or chips in the microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50 percent power for one minute or until the chocolate begins to turn shiny. Add the remaining chips to the melting chocolate, stir with the spoon, and continue microwaving until shiny and melted. Don't overcook the chocolate or it becomes grainy.
- 6). Dip individual roasted insects into the melted chocolate, working quickly before the chocolate firms. Place each chocolate-covered insect on a large sheet of wax paper until chocolate hardens.
- 7). Refrigerate the chocolate-covered insects in a covered container where they can remain for up to three weeks.